Other services for writers

PLR – an extra source of income

If you’ve had a book published in the UK, you should also sign up for Public Lending Right (PLR). It collects money for the loan of your books in libraries.

You can find out more here, or by calling +44 (0)1937 546030, or you can write to:

Public Lending Right – British Library
PO Box 751
Boston Spa
LS22 9FW

Other collecting societies

Directors UK

If you are a Director as well as a writer you may wish to consider joining Directors UK which pays the primary Director of film or television programme for the exploitation of their work.


DACS collect and distribute royalties to visual artists and their estates through their payback scheme, artist’s resale right and artimage.

Contracts and vetting

You may need advice about the details of your contract. This is where your agent, if you have one, comes in. Or you could contact one of the writers’ unions or associations listed below for specialist legal advice.